Dad Talk | 10 Things I Now Know Since Becoming A Dad
Posted on 16 May 2016
Well it’s been almost 9 months since I last posted “10 Things I Didn’t Know Before Becoming A Dad” and figured with baby #2 only one month away it was due time for an update. By now I’m a seasoned parent, I’ve been deep in the diaper filled trenches, and feel like I’ve come out somewhat unscathed… right?
What a whirlwind the last few months have been! The good, the bad, the not so pretty, and the priceless moments all jumbled up into such a short period of time. From crawling, to walking, to running, and now never slowing down (no really… like never slowing down). Each stage of the game seems more hectic and fun filled than the last!
Having our little boy has been the best thing to happen to us and now with a baby girl on the way we couldn’t feel more blessed. We’ve unpacked all the old gear, added some pinks, and are now asking ourselves if we’re ready to do it all over again. But, before the cycle begins I’d like to reflect on 10 things I now know since becoming a Dad:
- Babies are pretty neat, well not neat in the sense that they are clean, but that they are pretty cool to hang out with. They may not be the best talkers, or walkers, but they are always down to do what you do and go where you go.
- Let’s go back to not being “neat”. Before having a baby seasoned parents will say to not worry about getting nice furniture. Well they are right. Kids will find a way to drip bottles, spill food, and pretty much everything else on your nice (pre-baby) couches and chairs.
- Add reading master to your resume (after graduating from singing master as noted in my previous post) because you’ll be going through stacks and stacks of books. They may not be long, and may have a lot of pictures, but man some of those rhymes are a bit tricky. Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?
- Changing diapers doesn’t get any easier. You think a baby is tough… wait until they’re a squirming 34 lb. toddler!
- I do not believe there is a single vehicle (besides possibly a van which we have yet to try) that has enough leg room for someone over 6 feet tall with a car seat directly behind.
- The outdoors will truly become your playground. These little creatures get stir crazy after a few short minutes and once they can run they want to run wild. Thank goodness for the beach!
- Getting boo boos never hurt so bad. These little people can take some pretty nasty falls and get up like nothing happened, but man does it hurt the parents more than it hurts the kids.
- You’ll do more dancing now than ever before. However, this go around it may be to The Wiggles and Kidz Bop instead of the top 40.
- For the first time in your life you will truly know what it feels like to have someone love and adore every single thing you do.
- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is still nothing more special than seeing that smiling face at the start of each new day.